Apple’s iPhone 5 finally unveiled: Tech giant Apple announced its newest smartphone, the iPhone 5, at an event in San Francisco Sept. 12. The new phone is lighter and thinner than its predecessor. Check out more photos of the latest smartphone to hit the market.
Thickness: 7.6mm, 18 percent thinner than iPhone 4S, 20 percent lighter.
• Screen: 4 inches, 16:9 aspect ratio, 1136 x 640 pixels, better color fidelity and saturation, retina display, five rows of icons on the home page.
• Network: 4G LTE connection.
• New processor: the A6 chip, twice as fast and 22 percent smaller.
• Battery life: 8 hours with LTE, 10 hours on Wifi.
• Camera: 8 megapixel, f/2.4, better low light capability.
• Sound: Three microphones, speakers are 20 percent smaller.
• New connector: “Lightning,” the new dock connector, is confirmed. Adapters will be offered.
• Siri: Will now provide sports scores, turn-by-turn map directions and launch apps.
• Price: $199 for 16 GB, up to $399 for 64 GB, and the 4S is now free with contract.
• Color: The iPhone will come in two colors, white or slate.
• Launch date: Goes on sale Sept. 21.